"Winter School for Young Human Rights Defenders"
10-13 December 2017 at the Faculty of Political Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Call for Thai participants
Workshop convened by the Center for Social Development Studies, Faculty of Political Science and The May 18 Memorial Foundation (518기념재단) (Gwangju, South Korea)
Join us in our training program for young human rights defenders, especially for those who are keen to be part of the fruitful networking and mature dialogue between the activism field and that of academe of human rights!
This Winter School will be a rare chance for human rights students and young activists to carefully listen to the witnessing voices over the light and darkness of human rights issues from neighbor countries, energetically to unite the strength and wisdom to help the risks/challenges faced by HR defender friends, and to get to know each other not only as young HR comrades but also as friends who care about other human being.
• Special Roundatable dedicated to Jatupat Boonpattaraksa (Pai Dao Din), the Laureate of 2017 Gwangju Prize for Human Rights, facilitated by Asst.Prof. Dr. Pitch Pongsawat
• ”From Gwangju to Bangkok: Lessons Learned from Democratic Movements” by Dr.Kanokrat Lertchoosakul
• ”The Role of Human Rights Organizations in Perpetuating a Culture of Impunity in Thailand” by Assoc.Prof. Dr.Puangthong Pawakapan
• ”Art as a Form of Resistance” by Asst.Prof. Dr.Pandit Chanrochanakit
• Four lectures on Human Rights Situations in South Korea, Malaysia, Nepal and Bangaladesh
• Peer discussion on Human Rights issues with participants from other Asian countries
• Field Visit to Human Rights Defenders w/ Reflection on Judicial System on Political Prisoners in Thailand by Sirikarn Charoensri, The Lawyers for Lawyers Award 2017 Laureate
Interested participants should write a one-page essay reflecting your thoughts and/or experience in human rights issues. Submit the essay to firstname.lastname@example.org before November 30. 2017.